Seda Altuğ, Assistant Professor
The Atatürk Institute for Modern Turkish History
34342 Bebek-Istanbul / Turkey
- Cambridge University, Department of Anthropology, Post-doctorate
January 2012-March 2015
- Utrecht University, PhD
Faculty of History and Culture
Title of the dissertation “Sectarianism in the Syrian Jazira: Community, land and violence in the memories of World War I and the French mandate (1915-1939)”
- IFPO (Institut Français du Proche Orient)
September 2003 - June 2004
- Leiden University, Advanced Masters Program
Centre For Non-western Studies
- Boğaziçi University, MA
The Atatürk Institute for Modern Turkish History (ATA)
- New York University (NYU)
Centre for Near Eastern Studies
- Boğaziçi University, BA
1993 - 1998
Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences
Department of Economics
Instructor at the Atatürk Institute for Modern Turkish History (ATA)
Lecturer in the Department of Political Science and International Relations
Istanbul Bilgi University
Adviser to the project “Coping with Social Trauma Healing our Traumas, Building a Democratic Future for our Society”
TIHV (Human Rights Foundation of Turkey)
Project assistance of the project “Towards A Blueprint for Reconciliation: Engaging the Civil Society and Capacity Building”
Jan 2010-Jan 2011
Research assistant in the Department of History and Culture
Sept. 2003-Dec 2008
Teaching assistant in the Department of History,
Sept 2002- Sept 1999
Istanbul Yeditepe University
Instructor of HIS 322- (State and Society in the Middle East)
Istanbul Yeditepe University
Teaching assistant in the Department of Economics
Feb. 1999- Sept. 1998
Istanbul Bilgi University
Research assistant in “Kuştepe Sözlü Tarih Araştırması”
Jan 1999- Nov. 1998
(Kuştepe Oral History Research) conducted by Istanbul Bilgi University; the results of the project were published as a book.
Research assistant to Hakan Yılmaz on the project
Oct. 1998- Feb. 1998
“3x25 Cumhuriyet Sergisi” (3x25 Republic Exhibition)
organized by Türkiye Ekonomik ve Toplumsal Tarih Vakfı (Turkish History Foundation)
- Book chapter, “Memories of Violence in Syria during World War I” (I. Dünya savaşı Suriye’snde Şiddet Hafızası), Seda Altug (ed.), 1. Dünya Savaşı ve Levant (İstanbul: Tarih Vakfı Yurt Publishing House, November 2016). (forthcoming)
- Book chapter, “Debates on Armenian Genocide in Syrian and Lebanese Publics (1919- 1921)” (Suriye ve Lübnan kamusunda Ermeni soykırımı tartışmaları (1915- 1921), in Emre Can Daglioglu and Umit Kurt (eds.), Araplar ve 1915, (İstanbul: İletisim Publishing House, November 2016). (forthcoming)
- Interview with Saba Mahmood, New Perspectives on Turkey, no. 53, Fall 2016)
- Article titled “Endişeli Ankara’nın sınır idaresi (1930- 1939) ve Suriye savaşının ateşinde bir özyönetim denemesi: Rojava Kürdistanı (2012- 2015)” in Teorik Bakış, special issue on Violence and state in the Middle East, no.7, Spring 2016.
- Introduction titled “Sınırlar ve Türkiye’de Sınır Çalışmaları” in Toplum ve Bilim, no. 131, 2015, pp. 3- 11.
- Article titled “The Syrian Uprising and Turkey’s Ordeal with the Kurds”, Dialectical Anthropology, vol. 37, no. 1, 2013, pp. 123- 130.
- Article titled “Syrian-Armenian memory and the Refugee Issue in Syria under the French mandate (1921- 1946)”, in The Armenian Weekly, Hairenik Association Eastern Region USA, May 2012.
- Issue editor of the journal الآداب (al-adab), November-December 2010. (http://adabmag.com/)
- Article titled “The Armenian Genocide, Sheikh Said Revolt, and Armenians in Syrian-Jazira”, in The Armenian Weekly, Hairenik Association Eastern Region USA, 8 May 2010 (For the French translation, see, http://armeniantrends.blogspot.com/2011/01/le-genocide-armenien-la-revol...)
- Article titled “Frontières et pouvoir d’État: la frontière turco-syrienne dans les années 1920 et 1930” co-authored with Benjamin White, Vingtième Siècle, no. 103, September 2009.
- Article titled “Suriye Arap Milliyetçiliğinde Vatan ve Suriyelilik (1919- 1939), (Homeland and Syrianess in Syrian Arab nationalism, 1919-1939), Siyasal Bilgiler Fakültesi Dergisi, June 2008.
- Article titled “Popular nationalism and the city: Antioch during the French mandate”, Chronos, University of Balamand, Tripoli, Spring 2006.
- Review article on the conference titled “Recherches récentes sur le Bilad al-Sham a l’époque Ottomane (1517- 1918)” in Tarih ve Toplum Yeni Yaklaşımlar, Iletişim Yayınları, 1, Bahar 2005.
- Article titled “Misak-ı Milli, Sınırları Zorlayan Tartışmalar”, Toplumsal Tarih, Tarih Vakfı Publications, 118, October 2003.
- MA thesis titled “Between Colonial and National Dominations: Antioch under the French Mandate (1920- 1939)” submitted to Boğaziçi University, Atatürk Institute for Modern Turkish Studies, 2002.
- Several articles about contemporary issues in Syria and Lebanon in journals and newspapers published in Turkey and USA, such asAGOS, Birikim, Radikal 2 and Armenian Weekly.
- Conference Papers
- Presentation titled, “Overseeing the pre-1915 lands and layering power in present-day Batman", in Reverberations: Violence Across time and Space, Galata Rum Okulu, 26- 28 March 2015.
- Discussant of the panel “The Limits of Propaganda” in the conference “Ideology, Propaganda, and War: The Ottomans in the Great War”, Koç University, 10 January 2015.
- Presentation titled, “Making of refugee-ness in French-Syria (1921-39)”, in The First World War and its Aftermath, Gingko 2014, 6- 7 December 2014.
- Presentation titled, “Bugünden geçmişe Ermeni soykırımı; Kürtler, toprak ve devletler" in 1915 Diyarbakır ve Kürtler Sempozyumu Istanbul Bilgi University, 21 October 2014.
- Presentation titled “State, People and Violence in the Making of the Turco-Syrian Frontier (1921- 1939)”, MESA 2014, 21- 24 November 2015.
- Presentation titled, “Suriye’de ayaklanma ve muhalefetler” in Üçüncü Yılında Suriye Krizi Konferansı, Marmara University, 24 April 2014.
- Presentation titled, “Memories of Violence in Syria during World War”, in 1. Cihan Harbi Osmanlı Cephesinde Yeni Bir Şey Var: Cihan Harbi’ne Yeniden Bakmak, Orient Institute, History Foundation and Bilgi University, 10 April 2014.
- Presentation titled, “Kurds in the age of Middle Eastern Revolutions”, Cornell University, 21 March 2014.
- Presentation titled, “Claims to self-rule in the fever of war in Syria”, Susan Buck-Moors Translocal Commons, Boğazici University, 31 October 2013.
- Presentation titled, “The Pillars of making of French-Jazira and Sectarianism”, in the panel Cities of Stone: Issues in the New Social History of Syria, Part II, MESA 2013, October 10-13 2013.
- Presentation titled, “Making minorities in the late-Ottoman period: Armenians and Kurds”, Governmentalizing minorities in the Middle East: from the late Ottoman period to the present day, University of Cambridge, 13 –14 September 2013.
- Presentation titled, “Binxeté'den Rojava'ya Suriye Kürdistanı'nda Toplum, Siyaset ve Devlet" in Kürt Çalışmaları Konferansı, İstanbul Bilgi University, 25 May 2013.
- Presentation titled, “Debating Syrianness in French-Syria (1936- 1939)”, MESA 2012, Denver, USA, 16- 20 November 2012.
- Birmingham University, History Department, Roundtable organized by Benjamin White, “The end of the Ottoman Empire as twentieth-century history” 26.November 2012.
- Presentation titled, “Globalizing the local: politics in French Syria, 1921-39”, The world in the Middle East: new perspectives on the global in Middle Eastern history, 1868-1968, Cambridge University, 10 April 2012.
- Presentation titled “Suriye’deki ayaklanmanın politik-ekonomisi” at 36. İktisatçilar Haftası Yüzyılın Başında Değişimin Krizi, Gerçekler, Olanaklar, Sınırlar, İstanbul University, 21-23 March 2012.
- Presentation titled “Kurdo-Armenians in the rural parts of Diyarbekir in the pre-1915 world”, at workshop on the Social and Economic History of Diyarbakır and the Region, Hrant Dink Foundation, 11-13 November 2011.
- Presentation titled “Reconceptualising Armeniannes in Syria from the French mandate period to post-colonial times (1921- 2000)”, at the symposium "Contextualising Community - Diasporas of the Modern Middle East" co-organized by CASAW (The Centre for the Advanced Study of the Arab World and IMES (Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies), University of Edinburgh, 27-28 October 2011.
- Presentation titled, “From the anti-refugee discourse to good refugee vs. bad refugee: Transformation in the notion of refugee in Syria (1915- 1946)”, MESA 2010, San Diego, USA, 18- 21 November 2010.
(one of the two organizers of the same panel titled Refugees in Syria (1915- 1948))
- Presentation titled, “Remembering the pre-1915 World among the Refugees in Syria: Religion, Land, History” at the conference of “What is Left Behind: Remnants of Past Inhabitants and their Place in Turkey’s Present” at Sabanci University, 1-2 September 2010.
- Presentation titled “1915 Armenian Genocide in the Syrian-Arabic sources”, at the conference of “The state of Art of Armenian Genocide Research: Historiography, Sources and Future Directions”, Clark University, Boston, USA, 9-1O April 2010.
- Presentation titled, “Religion, community and state: Sectarianism in the memories of WW1 and French mandate in Syria” at MESA 2009, Boston, USA, 21-24 November 2009
(one of the two organizers of the same panel titled “Faces of Sectarianism in the Levant”)
- Presentation titled “The colonial power and the politics of difference in French-Jazira”, at a research workshop called France & the Arab World, 1600 -, University of Edinburgh, CASAW (Centre for the Advanced Study of the Arab World), 15-16 September 2009.
- Presentation titled “Making of a Minority Identity in the Turkish-Syrian Border under the French Mandate, (1920-1939)” at MESA 2008, , Washington DC, USA, 21-25 November 2008.
- Presentation titled “Making of communal identities on the Turkish-Syrian Frontier: Kessab in Comparative Perspective” in UCLA Series on Historic Armenian Cities and Provinces, The Armenian Communities of the North-eastern Mediterranean: Kesab, Musa Dagh, Dort-Yol, 29 February 2008.
- Speaker in a seminar organized by Christine Allison titled as “Les Kurdes et le Kurdistan: acteurs, pouvoirs, représentations”, INALCO, 28 January 2008.
- Presentation titled “The memories of the French mandate in Syrian Jazira (1921- 1946) and the construction of Syriac community: land/geography, culture, history” in the Conference of the German Anthropological Association, in the workshop Re-thinking History, Memory and Accountability in the Anthropology of Middle East, October 2007.
- Presentation titled “History, Community, and Land: The Memories of the French Mandate in Syrian Jazira (1921–1946) and the Construction of Christian Identity” in 22nd Annual Middle East History and Theory Conference at University of Chicago in May 2007.
- Participant to the thematic conversation group “Majorities and Minorities in the Middle East and North Africa” which holds regular meetings at MESA every year.
- Presentation titled “The Construction of Syriac Christian Identity in French Mandated Syria (1921- 1946): Flight, Community and Land” at the Oxford Symposium on Transnationalism in the Mediterranean, May 2006.
- Presentation titled “Memories of Violence, making of a Christian identity in Syria” in Leiden University, April 2006.
- Présentation in Ecole Doctorale in IFEA, (Institut Français d’études Anatoliennes, Istanbul titled as “Pouvoirs centraux, instances locales en Méditerranée - XVIIIe-XXe siècles”, 26 October 2005.
- Participation to the conference titled “Recherches récentes sur le Bilad al-Sham à l’époque Ottomane (1517- 1918)” between the May 28- June 2 2004 in Beirut.
- Presentation titled “Antioch between National and Colonial Dominations: The Sanjak of Alexandretta during the French Mandate (1920- 1939)” presented in the MESA Annual Meeting, November 2003, Alaska.
- Presentation titled “Antioch under the French mandate”, in a session d’études doctorales in IFEA between 14 and19 April 2002 on La ville de la Méditerranée orientale et méridionale. XIXe-XXe siècles.