- Presentations, Conferences & Workshops Attended
- "Fine Arts and Cultural Alterity in Early Turkish Republic", Alterity and the Experience of Limits, International Conference of the International Society for the Intellectual History (ISIH), Bogaziçi University, Istanbul, 9-11 December, 2003
- "Art and Power in Turkey: Culture, Aesthetics and Nationalism during the Single Party Era", Visions of Modernity in Turkey, Conference organized by the Center for Middle Eastern Studies, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas, March, 28-29, 2003
- "Art and Politics in Early Turkish Republic", by invitation, Journee d'Etudes "La Peinture et la Sculpture Contemporaines dans le Monde Arabe et Turc", Institut d'Etudes de l'Islam et des Sociétés du Monde Musulman, Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales, Paris, June 8, 2001.
- "A Comparative Analysis of Communal Identity Perception in the Oral Narratives among the Kochkiri Tribe: Religious Orientation or Ethnic Roots?", co-author Yektan Türkyilmaz, Crossroads of History: Experience, Memory, Orality, XI th International Oral History Conference, Bogaziçi University, Istanbul, Turkey, June 15-19, 2000.
- "The Role of Art in Republican Modernization: Yeni Adam ", MESA, Washington, D.C., 19-22 December, 1999.
- "Art, Body and the Nation in Yeni Adam (1934-1979)" , Image: Functions and Languages Conference, The Incursion of the Visual into the Islamic Periphery (17.-20. Centuries), Bogaziçi University, March 25-27, 1998.
- "Kültürel Milliyetçililik ve Cemil Meriç", Cemil Meriç Günleri, Tarik Zafer Tunaya Kültür Merkezi, December 27-28, 1997.
- " Ottoman Past, the Orient and Criticism," Center for Middle Eastern Studies, Colloquium Series, University of Texas at Austin, March 6, 1996.
- "Gender Metaphors: Between the Nation State and Its Critiques," American Political Science Association (APSA) Meeting, San Francisco, August 28-September 1, 1996.
- "Kemal Tahir and Cemil Meriç: Perspectives on Turkish Modernization," BILAR, Istanbul, Seminars on Turkish Modernism, January 5, 1995.
- "Alternative Identities in Republican Turkey: Cemil Meriç and the Ottoman Past as Criticism," Middle Eastern Studies Association (MESA) Conference in Washington,
D.C., December 6-10, 1995.
- "Islamic Ideology in Iran: the Duality of a Discourse," Southwestern Political Science Association Conference, March 1992, Austin, Texas.
- "Nationalist Theory in the Writings of Halide Edib," The Second Graduate Conference in Difference and the Turkish in the Language Arts, May 1992, Columbus,
- Academic Meeting Organization
- Co-organizer. In cooperation with Centre de Recherche sur l'Asie Interieure, le Monde Turc, et l'espace Ottoman (CeRATO) and Université Marc Bloch/CRNS, Strasbourg. Image: Functions and Languages Conference, The Incursion of the Visual into the Islamic Periphery (17.-20. Centuries), Bogaziçi University, March 25-27, 1998.