Editing of Doctoral Dissertations
Doctoral candidates are encouraged to download the dissertation preparation package and use the enclosed Microsoft Word template from the time they start writing.
- With certain exceptions, the work of degree candidates is edited on a first come, first serve basis. See the editing queue for exceptions and the current status of the queue.
- Dissertations may be submitted to the editor year-round, but doctoral candidates must let the editor know at the beginning of the semester before they intend to submit a manuscript. If a degree candidate does not provide advanced notification and if there is a backlog of editing work, the faculty body may use their discretion to assign the editing of that candidate's work a lower priority.
- Doctoral candidates are discouraged from submitting dissertations during or immediately before the period from April through June, which is set aside for the editing and format checking of master’s theses. Dissertations submitted at this time will be edited only after the processing of master’s theses is complete.
- Obtain the explicit approval of your academic advisor before submitting work for editing.
- Prepare the manuscript for editing:
- Verify that the dissertation is complete, including the notes, bibliography, appendices, and all front matter together with the preface or acknowledgements. Partial work will not be accepted.
- Verify that the manuscript is formatted in accordance with the Institute’s Form of Theses and Dissertations.
- Perform the items on the “Manuscript Checklist” in the Institute’s Usage Manual.
- Review the FAQ.
- Submit the manuscript in Microsoft Word format to the editor via e-mail. The place of a manuscript in the editing queue is established by the day and time it is sent to the editor.
Once a manuscript is submitted, the advisor will be notified and a cursory check of the materials will be performed within two business days. If everything is in order, the manuscript will be added to the editing queue. A reference number with which to check the status of a manuscript in the queue will be provided.
Please note that after their defense, degree candidates are required to submit their manuscript to the editor a second time for the final format check.