Editing of Master’s Theses
Master’s candidates are encouraged to download the thesis preparation package and use the enclosed Microsoft Word template from the time they start writing.
General Conditions and Deadline
- With certain exceptions, student work is edited on a first come, first serve basis. See the editing queue for exceptions and the current status of the queue.
- For master’s candidates intending to defend their thesis at the end of the Spring term, there are two different deadlines depending on when the student entered the Institute's master's program.
- For master’s candidates in their fourth or fifth semesters (that is, those who started the program as irregular students in January 2016 or as regular students in September 2016), the deadline for submitting their complete work to the editor is 2 April 2018.
- For all master’s candidates who started the program earlier than this, the deadline for submitting their complete work to the editor is 1 March 2018.
- Master’s candidates must notfiy the editor of their intention to submit their work at the beginning of the semester before they intend to graduate. If a student does not provide advanced notification and if there is a backlog of editing work, the faculty body may use their discretion to assign the editing of that student's work a lower priority, making it unlikely the student's jury will be in time for graduation in the Spring term.
- Submissions made later than the deadline will not be prioritized ahead of doctoral dissertations already in the editing queue, making it unlikely the student's jury will be in time for graduation in the Spring term.
- Master’s candidates who are preparing a thesis outside of this framework may submit a thesis to the editor year-round and it will be added to the end of the ordinary queue.
- You must obtain the approval of your academic advisor before submitting your work for editing.
- Be sure your manuscript is ready for editing:
- Verify that the thesis is complete, including the notes, bibliography, appendices, and all front matter together with the preface or acknowledgements. Partial work will not be accepted.
- Verify that the manuscript is formatted in accordance with the Institute’s Form of Theses and Dissertations.
- Perform the items on the “Manuscript Checklist” in the Institute’s Usage Manual.
- Review the FAQ.
- Download, complete, and print out the Approval Form. You are responsible for obtaining your advisor's signature and leaving the signed form in the editor's mailbox at the Atatürk Institute prior to the deadline.
- Submit your manuscript in Microsoft Word format to the editor via e-mail. Your place in the editing queue is established by the day and time you send your manuscript, provided that you have already delivered the signed copy of the Approval Form.
Once you have submitted your thesis, the editor will generally perform a cursory check of the materials within two business days and, if everything is in order, will add the manuscript to the editing queue. You will be given a reference number with which you can check the status of your manuscript in the editing queue.
Please note that after your jury, you are required to submit your manuscript to the editor a second time for the final format check.